The weather has been so awesome this week so I had my family over (13 people) for a nice family dinner this evening. I decided to make spaghetti and wanted to try to make vegetarian meatballs (meatless balls?). I did what I usually do and turned to Pinterest to see what others have tried and found this really great recipe from Celia16 and decided to give it a try.
For my meat-eating family, they all raved about the flavor and texture and told me this recipe is a keeper! I doubled the recipe and it made about 3 dozen medium-sized balls and it was so quick and easy to make.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and thoroughly mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of oatmeal
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick spray.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Ingredients should be well mixed and you should not see any whole chickpeas.
3. Roll tablespoons of the mixture in your hands to create small balls and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until the vegetarian meatballs are browned on the outside. Note: it is better to under cook than overcook these because they can quickly dry out.