I hardly ever make New Year’s resolutions but I did make Earth Day resolutions last year that included personal changes to the way I live my life. I wanted to make a point of changing in a real, tangible way. Reflecting on this past year, some were easier to follow through than others. We began loyally recycling pretty much everything possible, using reusable totes when grocery shopping, growing our own summer vegetables, installing a rain barrel, buying organic when we can and carpooling to work.
One area that could use improvement is I really wanted to get involved with a local group and volunteer my time. I did start this goal by becoming a member of the Sierra Club and got in touch with our Cleveland chapter this past winter. They usually meet once monthly and I found myself always seeming to have something that conflicted with their meeting times. Having a young child at home and a basketball coach for a husband further complicated reaching this goal.
With Earth Day just a week away, I am still determined to make this happen! For anyone looking for an Earth Day activity or even looking to offer a few hours of their time, the Cleveland Metropark Zoo is hosting EarthFest 2012 and I am volunteering at it next Sunday – what better way to jump start this goal of mine! EarthFest is open from 10am-5pm and is the largest organized Earth Day gathering in Ohio AND the longest running festival in the entire country. Go Cleveland! It is sponsored and organized by Earth Day Coalition and has been held every year since 1990.
Here are a few of the highlights to expect throughout the day:
- Local & Sustainable Food – Connect with local farmers’ markets, community supported agriculture initiatives, restaurants and businesses who are helping to build the local food economy in northeast Ohio
- Clean Transportation – Learn how clean fuels, practices and technologies reduce petroleum use and emissions. Test drive exciting new vehicles being offered by a number of manufacturers.
- Nonprofit, Government, University – Get involved and create change, featuring environmental exhibits and educational displays
- Green Home Improvement – Learn about and view beneficial products, services and practices for the home.
- Environmental Science – Explore science and eco-activities with NASA and other institutions. Display of Art, Poetry and Essay Contest winners.
- Zero Waste – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and composting exhibits.
- Health and Fitness – Fitness workshops, including kettle bells, tai chi, yoga, martial arts, and more.
- Party with the Planet – Entertainment from local bands
I am really looking forward to spending my day at this event and learning as much as I can about what’s happening in the movement in our area. I hope to see you there!
Live green, love green.